Saturday, January 29, 2011

Salsa With Cilantro/No Vinegar

My family loves salsa.  I'll bet yours does, too.  We're "cilantro people".  This seems to be one of those herbs that people love or hate.  We love it!  I pile it onto my taco like it's lettuce.  So, when I was searching for a canned salsa recipe that 1. included cilantro, and 2. omitted vinegar, I had my work cut out for me.  I like vinegar in pickles, but not in salsa.  I much prefer the very fresh pico de gallo.  However, winter tomatoes in Minnesota are flavorless.  If our family wants a fresh-tasting salsa at a super bowl party in January, this mom's going to need to get picky. 


It took some research and digging, but I found a wonderful recipe that our whole family loves.  When canning tomatoes, it's necessary to preserve them with an acid.  Instead of vinegar, this recipe uses lime juice which compliments wonderfully the cilantro, peppers, and tomato.



Traditional Salsa


Makes about 13 pints


7qt diced, seeded, peeled, cored tomatoes
4c  long green chili peppers, seeded & chopped (about 12)
5c  onion, chopped (5 med)
1/2c  jalapeno peppers, seeded & chopped (about 2)
6 cloves garlic, minced
2c. bottled lime or lemon juice
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp cilantro


Remember to wear rubber gloves when handling chilies. 
Combine all ingredients except cilantro in large pot.  Bring to boil, stirring frequently.  Reduce heat and boil 10 min.  Add cilantro, simmer 20 min. stirring occasionally.
Ladle hot salsa into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2  inch head space.  Wipe rims.  Cover.  Process 20 min. in boiling water bath.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The history of cider can be traced back to ancient times, with evidence of its consumption found in various cultures. H keto acv gummies

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!