Saturday, January 29, 2011

Rose Hip and Rhubarb Jam

I was researching ideas for old-fashioned summer jams, something different I could do with my rhubarb, when I stumbled onto this particular recipe.  The name alone sounded lovely, and once I read the ingredients I knew I had to try it.  It was the addition of the lemon rind that really made my mouth water.  This is certainly not the easiest jam for which to prepare.  Harvesting enough tiny hips is a long, tedious task on a late summer's afternoon.  Preparing them is yet more laborious indeed.  Once you've managed to achieve your monumental enterprise, the rest is standard.  Until, of course, you plop your first dollop of this jewel upon a perfectly buttered toast.  These jars will no longer represent hours of summer toil and sweat, but now your guarded golden, rosy reward. 


Every one's favorite, I have actually been reprimanded by my children for giving this as gifts!  Give it a try, you'll become as obsessed as we.


1 cup rose hips, slightly under-ripe
4 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind


Cut rose hips in half and remove seeds with knife point.
Combine rose hips, rhubarb, water, and salt, and boil 1 minute.
Add sugar and lemon and boil 1 minute.
Remove from heat and pour into hot, sterilized jars.
Process in boiling water bath.


~ Cooperative Extension Service, University of Alaska

Rose Hips

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!