Monday, January 31, 2011

Zucchini Soup



I stumbled onto this recipe in the summer of 2004, during a particularly prolific zucchini year.  I was mad for discovering new recipes, as well as getting complaints from the neighbors.  After all, what were any of us to do with so much squash?  Of course there is the delectable yet ubiquitous zucchini bread.  



I'm searching for something healthy.  Something that welcomes and celebrates the sweet, summery flavor.  And there are only so many evenings my children will tolerate them served, however exquisite, sizzling ever-so-gently in a glistening golden veil of extra virgin olive oil and promptly sprinkled with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese.

I digress, indeed!  You'll excuse me as I'm writing this in a January snowstorm.  Pangs of hunger from my blasted resolution asserting itself as a reminder of too many indulgences.  Anyway, much as we hate to admit it, children's complaints too often steer us from doing the things we'd like, or perhaps should.  Like serving vegetables.




That was a summer of extensive research for zucchini recipes.  I found some delicious recipes, but this one takes the cake!  Literally takes it away.  It's simple, easy, and my kids like it.  I serve it as a side with meals, to fill plethora bellies.  But I think it's perfect with just buttered toast.


 

This recipe, which serves 4, is from "The Mexican Kitchen" by Elisabeth Ortiz.
Always use the smallest zucchini available as these are the sweetest and preferred in Mexico, their country of origin.

2 Tbsp Butter
1 Onion, chopped
1 pound young zucchini, chopped
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup light cream
salt & freshly ground black pepper


Melt butter in saucepan and saute onion until soft.
Add zucchini and cook, stirring, about 1-2 minutes.

Add chicken stock.
Bring to boil over medium heat and simmer about 5 minutes, or until zucchini are just tender.

Strain stock into clean saucepan, saving vegetable solids in the strainer.
Puree solids in food processor and add to saucepan.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Stir in cream and heat gently without a boil.
Serve hot with a little extra cream swirled in.



This is a great idea for a book.



So why is zucchini bread on the cover?



Now this is clever!


I just don't know what to say.


Lets just try not to let this happen.






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!