Friday, February 18, 2011

No More Waffling



I'm not a fan of waffles.  I can't tell you why, maybe it's what we put on top of them.  They're served with syrup and sticky, sugary condiments.  I never feel very well after eating them.  To me that's not a meal, it's a waste of calories that are better off spent on chocolate (which, as it turns out, is not a waste). 



But they are popular and I can imagine my minority status.  Today my eyebrows were raised in inspiration as I happened upon Jeff Smith's "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American."  After his basic waffle recipe he introduces ideas such as peanut-butter waffles, cornmeal waffles, and bacon waffles.  Okay, I'm interested.  These are starting to approach nourishment status.



His Peanut-Butter Waffles just have 4Tbsp hot water mixed into 4Tbsp creamy peanut butter.  Then simply stir into your basic waffle batter.  Wouldn't these be nice with bananas or fresh fruit?  Mmm, flavor!  And a little extra protein.



The Cornmeal Waffles he describes as "a bit crunchy and very American."  Well, I like crunchy so found these appealing.  Just add 1/2 cup cornmeal to the basic waffle batter.  Apparently these are popular in New England.  I'll bet they're perfect with a side of oyster stew.  Perhaps these will go well as a side for a savory meal.  Ooh, this is getting better.



Of course, the best is saved for last: Bacon Waffles.  Place one or two slices on top of the batter that you've just poured into your iron.  I'll likely chop the bacon into bits in order to stretch it, after all it's more a flavor than a protein.  But it would look prettier as a strip cooked right into your waffle, wouldn't ya say?  And now, don't these sound like something  you could blissfully sink your teeth into.



What are some of your waffle favorites?  Share your ideas and recipes in the comment box below.  If you've tried these ideas, share your thoughts.  I can't wait to have a "Waffle Night" now.

4 comments:

  1. Love the title first off! I'm with you! They are not my favorite. My girls love them though & I bet that they would dig a "waffle night"! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you do & what great ideas the girls come up with. Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH I actually love waffles. I like to add pumpkin to mine with cinnamon and nutmeg. Of course i love the sugary condiments on top too :) A great trick for top of peanut butter waffles is to puree fruit and make them peanut butter and jelly waffles!! We do that often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo! That sounds yummy, Steph! You do come up with some great ideas. They sound nutricious and a wee bit sneaky. ;)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!