Monday, February 21, 2011

When Life Gives Ya Snow, Make Pudding



Well, after an enjoyable spring weather teaser we're finding ourselves knee-deep again in fresh new-fallen snow.  The last 24hrs has brought us the greatest Twin Cities February storm on record with a new foot of snow, almost twice that in some places.  That officially brings us to 72.9-in. of snowfall for the season.  

And it's still snowing. 

It's hard to be upbeat for many of us right now.  As thrilling as this is in December, we're now ready for spring!  This sentiment is echoed by myriad grumbles on facebook posts over these past couple of days by my Minnesota chums  People wonder why we talk so much about the weather up here.  Well, for heaven's sake, winter is eight months long!  That's kind of a big deal.



In an effort to avoid some of the gloominess that comes with these late-winter storms, I got up early this morning and made a recipe I'd never tried before.  There's one in my "The Fabulous Egg Cookbook" called "Snow Egg Pudding"  that attracted me as I happened to be perusing through it the other day during the news forecast.  Now, this isn't something I'd make often because, I warn ya, it's a lot of work.  You're gonna stand over your stove until it's done.  You may even benefit from a helper if you're not a multi-tasker, or if a small someone shuffles in and wants to help.  But, these are fun and yummy when you're snowed-in with your kids!



Snow Egg Pudding

6 eggs, separated
1 3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp brown sugar

In shallow skillet over low heat place milk, sugar, lemon juice, & vanilla.  Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved and milk mixture reaches a very slow boil.

Beat egg whites until they stand in peaks; add Brown sugar gradually and continue beating until they stand in firm peaks.

Using large spoon, scoop up a portion of the egg mixture then gently slip into boiling milk.  Turn each "half egg" over once so both sides are done evenly.  Remove gently with slotted spoon onto paper toweling to drain.

Our Light & Fluffy Snow Egg Pudding

Strain milk mixture.  Allow to cool slightly.  Beat egg yolks until light and lemon-colored.  Slowly add the cooled milk mixture to the yolks, continuing to beat for a second or two.  Place milk and egg yolk mixture in saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened and coats spoon.  Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp.  Pour into serving dish, arrange "half eggs" atop.  Refrigerate 1hr to chill.  Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!