Thursday, February 24, 2011

Time Management for Smarties

Time Management
Now, there's a term for the 21st century.  I don't know about you, but I could use some good advice here.  When I type these words on the Google search engine it returns about 548,000,000 results.  Articles are written, classes offered, it's defined on Wikipedia for us; the act or process of exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities.

But we know what it is.  Managing time.  Just a couple of great ideas once in awhile is what I need.  So that I can have a little time to incorporate an efficient new plan before I'm introduced to the next great idea. 

When I'm reading an organizational book I take copious notes, implement a few new strategies, and call it a day.  Months later my notes are rediscovered, by now dusty and sadly ridiculous.  They end up in the recycling bin.  All I need now is more dust?  That's not what I was after!

I'm going to "go with this," as they say, and start my own plan.  Time management is thrifty because it is wise economy.  So my plan will be to include it under my "THRIFTY THURSDAY" series.  Let's see how it goes.

Multitasking.

We ladies have been given an amazing ability here!  We don't even notice when we're doing it.  Standing and stirring white sauce constantly so that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan while discussing the disadvantages of paying for a cell phone for your fifteen-yr-old when you can't pay off the Visa bill while deligating the other children to complete their respective chores is multitasking.  Making dinner, teaching stewardship, encouraging responsibility.  That's just ten minutes!

I bring books, knitting, even crosswords with me when I know I'll be sitting in a waiting room, or watching a game, waiting while picking up the kids, sitting at swim lessons, etc.

There are times, however when this super-talent becomes a handicap.  Some things demand our full attention.  I'm guilty of shooing away children when I'm in the middle of a project, or playing solitaire while on the phone with someone who deserves better.  These are moments that require more concentration.  Life is hectic.  Go ahead and stop once in awhile.  You'll be teaching your children to do the same.

I, for one, plan to work on learning when it's time to pause.  I don't want to half-appreciate the blessings in my life.  That's my "great idea" for first installment of THRIFTY THURSDAY's Time Management series.  Now, I have about twenty good, solid minutes to read a book and have a cuddle with my 5-yr-old before lunchtime and preschool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!