Friday, February 25, 2011

Tired of Cream of Mushroom?

Here's something I happened upon a few years back that has kept me away from the cream of whatever soups.  It's frugal and it tastes loads better.

It's called "Casserole Sauce Mix"  I've designated a canister for it so that I always have it on hand.  Now I'm sharing it with the world!  Or at least with the couple of ya that log into my blog.


Casserole Sauce Mix

2 cups instant nonfat dry milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon
1/2 tsp dried, crushed thyme
1/2 tsp dried, crushed basil
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients.  Store in airtight container.
Use as replacement for canned cream soups in recipes.

To substitute for one can of condensed cream soup, stir together 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 cup water in saucepan.  Cook and stir until thickened.

Mix = 9 cans condensed cream soup.

Personally, I began omitting the herbs years ago, which allows more options when cooking.  I've chosen to use chicken bouillon as it pairs so nicely with most dishes.  Your family may have different requirements.  Try this handy mixture, it's so easy my kids can make it. 

Added bonus:  we can pronounce the ingredients!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!