Monday, April 18, 2011

Tomato Seeds

This year I searched for heirloom seeds.  I would like to try to save tomato seeds for my next gardening years, and these seeds are open-pollinators.  After much research, I settled on the following five varieties, all cold-weather, disease-resistant, and canning varieties.

1.  Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red
78 Days to maturity, mid-season

2. Silvery Fir Tree
55 Days, early-season

3. Legend
68 Days, early-season

4.  June Pink
68 Days, early-season

5.  Ilini Star
72 Days, mid-season

FREE
Louisiana Pink
79 Days, mid-season
Wilt resistant

Unfortunately, upon receiving my seeds, I promptly made a mistake.  I set my "Legend" seeds aside, thinking they were the FREE gift, and planted Louisiana Pink, thinking they were what I'd researched for so intently.



I used egg cartons, having poked holes into the bottoms.  I mixed peat and vermiculite.  Planted the seeds no more than 1/4 in. deep.  Lined the egg cartons onto a baking sheet, and set them in my south window.




I placed them into a plastic bag after watering them, then placed a heating pad underneath them.  I lined the bottom of each baking sheet with aluminum foil so that the heat will radiate to all the seeds, but I still turn them once each day.



I'm excited to see what will come of all my effort.  My start is a bit late, but should still get us our heirloom tomatoes and seeds.  I''l keep you posted as I take notes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!