Monday, March 14, 2011

Grandma's Apple-Rhubarb Jelly


I grew up eating this jelly, always preferring it to the quintessential store-bought grape that perpetually sat, back then, in the cupboard. Grandma always made sure her family had some. 

Of course the whole reason for making jams and jellies, like any preservation, is for the keeping. Sugar is a preservative. Storing our preserves in the fridge is a modern-day phenomena.

I’m grateful that we’ve learned so much in the field of home preserving.  We've come a long way since the wax-topped jelly jar and the general store pickle barrel.

We can prevent food-borne illness using simple methods. By following basic directions and applying current knowledge, we can feel confident about our products. Canning is fun when you can be confident! I hope you enjoy this jelly now as much as I did growing up.

Grandma’s Apple-Rhubarb Jelly
2 c. rhubarb juice (see recipe below)
2 c. apple cider (no added sugar)
1 box of Sure Jell
Bring this to a full rolling boil.
Add 4c. sugar.
Bring to a full rolling boil, boil for 2 minutes.
Makes 7+ small jelly glasses full.
 
Rhubarb Juice
6 c. rhubarb, cubed
1 c. water
Cook 10 minutes and drain = 2 ¼ c. juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!