Tuesday, March 22, 2011

sewing tips



Debbie at Squiggly Twigs Designs offers a pattern-saving tip.  This would work wonderfully with our larger-sized patterns to preserve them for longer use. 

I love her comment about not spending money on a "one use tool."  A very good point.






Gigi from Behind the Seams shares lots of helpful hints for sewing the perfect top stitch.  Straight and even, professional-looking stitches.  From the size and width of your presser foot to the length of your stitch, she covers everything you need to know in a quick, easy read with lots of photos.






We all know about pinking shears, but Emily from Oliver + s goes one step further.  It's frustrating to work with fabrics that fray too easily.  Your left wondering if your stitching will even hold.  I was impressed with her advice to take that extra step to pink, then stitch down the seam allowance.  Simple genius. 





Mary Ray, a contributor at Threads Magazine reminds us that the way we trim our fabric can make a big difference.  From grading to avoid a visible ridge, to notching for a perfect corner. 

I've found myself forgetting this rule while looking at a bunchy corner.  It's discouraging to find that you need to go back a step.

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!