Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rhubarb Custard Bars



For those of us living in the chillier climates, rhubarb is a wonderful, er, Rheum.  Well, that's what it is.  It is actually a vegetable that grows wild in the northwest provinces of China. 

Our word, rhubarb, comes ultimately from Medieval Latin reubarbarum, alteration of rha barbarum, literally, barbarian rhubarb, 15th century.  But we sure like it!



It's a good source of vitamin C, and high in dietary fiber.  It also happens to be incredibly easy to grow and so beautiful.  It's a large perennial that comes up early in springtime, the first for many gardeners and cooks.  It is very winter-hardy and resistant to drought.  The leaves, however, are poisonous. 

We don't use them in the hot months when they get woody and tasteless.  But the return of cooler weather brings another last harvest before the harsh winter months.

When your stalks get spindly and you can start to see the crown, you know it's time to divide your plants.


In the spirit of snow-melt anticipation, I'm sharing with you a particularly delicious rhubarb recipe.  I wish I could recall for you just where I happened upon this delectable dessert, it's just written down in my hurried scrawl on the back of another sheet.  I apparently thought it looked good and subsequently had to have it.

Rhubarb Custard Bars

Crust
1 1/4 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c butter, room temperature

Filling
1 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp flour
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
4-5 c rhubarb

Preheat your oven to 350°F
Grease a 9 x 13" pan

Directions For the Crust
Mix together flour and sugar
Cut in the butter
Press into the bottom of the pan
Bake 10-12 min.

Directions For the Filling
Mix together sugar, salt, and flour
Add the eggs, vanilla, and rhubarb
Pour this over your partially-baked crust
Continue baking for 30-35 min


Keep in the refrigerator

Spring is on it's way, my friends!  Soon we will have our rhubarb, and more recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!