Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lentils and Cheese Dumplings

This is a favorite with our little ones.  I pulled it out of that "If You Don't Know Beans" cookbook that I talk about in an earlier post.  It uses basic ingredients, which is nice.  I just need to be sure I have enough cheese on hand because I double the dumpling recipe for my ravenous crew. 

Lentils are one of the earth's healthiest foods.  They're mild and somewhat nutty, and easier to cook than dried beans.

This recipe makes the perfect "comfort food."  These little guys are full of fiber, B vitamins, and protein, but very low in calories.  You love'em already, don't ya?

1 c. dried lentils

4 c. water

2 chicken bouillon cubes

1 c. carrots

1 c. any leftover veg in your fridge

1 c. celery, sliced

1 med onion, chopped

2 Tbsp. oil

1 1/2 c. milk

Don't forget to sort and rinse them.

In a 4 qt. pot, combine lentils, water, and bouillon.  Bring to a boil.  Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat.

In a med. skillet, sauté your vegetables in oil until they're tender.  Stir them into your lentils.

Bring them to a boil; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer until lentils are tender. 

Stir in milk.  Cook until hot, but not boiling.  (Flavor with salt & pepper.)

Prepare dumplings.  (see below)

Drop into hot soup.  Cover and simmer about 15 min.


Cheese Dumplings
6 Tbsp. butter

3/4 c. cheese, shredded  (cheddar, mozzarella, colby...)

1/3 c. flour

1 egg

1 tsp. prepared mustard

In a small bowl, cream together butter, cheese, and flour.

Stir in your egg and mustard.

Dust hands with flour and shape rounded little teaspoons of dumpling mixture into small balls.  (I skip this step - too messy - I use the "drop dumpling" method.)



Lentil Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!