Thursday, March 10, 2011

Old Drawer Shelves

I found this idea on the Funky Junk Interiors blog site.  This photo is from their post "Old Drawers."  They're using this old drawer as a tray for popcorn night. 

It got me thinking, "This could be cute and practical." 

For some of us, practicality isn't just a wise option.  It's a necessity.  Be it space, budget, curious tiny fingers, or what have you, many of us admire decorating from afar. 

But we don't have to.  We just need to be clever.  Obviously, as adorable as this old drawer tray is, it isn't practical.  Where are we going to store it?  How often would we use it?  I live in a small house and must consider these things.

So my wheels have been turning.  These posts are such wonderful inspiration!  And this is why we blog (that, and nobody chides us for starting a sentence with "and", or "but").

I had some old sewing machine drawers that I've used for organizing various things from desk essentials to kids' watercolors.  I thought they would be a good size for shelves instead.

It turns out that they're a nice depth as well.  These are made with a very hard wood so they're quite sturdy.  You just want to be sure that your hooks are secure enough to hold everything you'll be placing onto your shelf.

As per my usual "decorating" habits, I have the pretty mixed together with the practical.  I have a handy spot for my papers, pens, lip balm, scissors, even a candle.  But I can also display my treasured elephants (Lego pachyderm opus masterfully crafted by two of my sons working together).

If you happen to stumble across some old drawers that have, unfortunately, outlasted their frame, this makes a handsome application.  If they're sturdy but lack luster, go ahead a give them an "up-do." 

Most of all, make it your own and enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I really like the middle shelf. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, ladies. I'm enjoying my new shelves. I can even keep books on them!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!