Monday, March 7, 2011

Rhubarb Bars

More for your collection.  It doesn't seem like it with our depressingly prolonged and very snowy winter this year, but spring and rhubarb are coming!  This recipe is wonderfully simple and simply delicious.  Just keep a box of strawberry Jell-O in the pantry.

Crust
1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter
1 egg
1 Tbsp. milk

Combine the first three ingredients, then cut in your butter.
Add your egg and milk, mix to a dough consistency.
Pat evenly into a greased 9-in. pan (11 x 7" works, too).

Filling
2 c. rhubarb, cut into small pieces
1 3oz. pkg. strawberry Jell-O
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour

Directions
Spread your rhubarb over your crust, then sprinkle Jell-O evenly over that.
Cut butter, sugar, and flour together, then spread atop your rhubarb.
Bake at 350°F for 30-40 min.

These are perfect for potlucks and picnics!

2 comments:

  1. I love rhubarb. My mouth is watering just remembering all the warm days we'd cut some from the garden for a snack! New follower Ours+His+Mine=Nine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Andie! Brings back such simple summer memories. It's nostalgic to see my own children running around barefooted and chomping on a plump red stem.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
As long as I'm on this journey, rambling through life's exhilarating highs and trudging heavily amongst it's incapacitating lows, I might as well share whatever may be gleaned from my little bits of wisdom and my many missteps. No room for judgment from this broken mama. I'm writing from my heart: raw, open, messy, but saved. And I'm still thanking God!